RIP Steve Jobs, thanks for the iPad and iPhone

stevejobs

Apple's tribute to its former CEO Steve Jobs who has died at the age of 56: "Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple."

The company also changed its homepage to honour Steve Jobs with a huge black and white picture of its legendary founder.

The first computer I used was a Mac. I was a very young boy back then. Although I did not grow up to become a Mac user, I would like to say thank you very much Steve for the iPhone and iPad. These two products of yours are just amazing! I remember buying the iPhone 3GS and after using it, I told myself I'm not going to use any other phone if it's not an iPhone. And the iPad, I remember I was very highly critical of it when it was launched but I decided to get one and boy, I was hooked. No other tablets for me, man.

Rest in peace, Steve. Your legacy will live forever. And that's for sure.

Update: The file name of Steve Job's obituary picture on Apple's website is t_hero.png which stands for The Hero!

Update: Here's new Apple CEO Tim Cook's email to staff announcing Steve's death (via Telegraph):

"Team,

I have some very sad news to share with all of you. Steve passed away earlier today.

Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.

We are planning a celebration of Steve’s extraordinary life for Apple employees that will take place soon. If you would like to share your thoughts, memories and condolences in the interim, you can simply email rememberingsteve@apple.com.

No words can adequately express our sadness at Steve’s death or our gratitude for the opportunity to work with him. We will honor his memory by dedicating ourselves to continuing the work he loved so much."

Update: Here's my Steve Jobs tribute video for R3LOAD Network.